Friday, June 22, 2012

Before I go to bed, I want to share this:

Knowing that I am able to make a difference in someone's life and knowing that I am able to help someone to see that they are not alone in this battle is the most amazing feeling to me! I find such a sense of accomplishment and truly a warming in my heart by being able to do that for others.  I hope to be able to continue to do that for the rest of my life and hope to one day have my own non-profit dedicated to that.  Interesting thing is, when I was in Sheppard Pratt 7 or so years ago, I spent much of my time trying to help the other patients.  I guess that is just who I am and what I was meant to do, I am really starting to realize that by the feeling it gives me to know that I've made a difference in someone's life.  I am now realizing that I thrive on being able to draw on my past experiences, my strengths, my weaknesses, my story of "life with bipolar" in its entirety and then being able to use them to help other individuals suffering from Bipolar Disorder and/or their loved ones.  Trying to help individuals while working in the field of mental health in its traditional sense never really worked for me and I believe I am starting to see why.

I share this because today I received a private message on the "Kissing Stigma Goodbye" Facebook page.  This individual that messaged me expressed to me a concern of hers and I was able to discuss with her my own personal experiences and was able to share more of my story than I have previously through private message with her. She was so appreciative that I took the time to respond to her message and that I was willing to go into detail with her in regards to my story. I feel so incredibly accomplished today that I was able to help someone else!  

That my friends, is what "Kissing Stigma Goodbye" is all about!

Thanks for reading! Until next time....


No comments: